Understanding Skin Care Ingredients: A Helpful Guide
The ingredient basics
Every skincare formula will contain a variety of ingredients, many of which promote the appearance of beautiful-looking skin. Examples include hyaluronic acid, biotin, vitamin C, peptides, cucumber, green tea, and activated charcoal.
Other ingredients are added to a product because they contribute to the overall appearance of texture, consistency, and aroma of that product. Examples include water (often used as a base), xanthan gum (a thickener), and essential oils for fragrance.
Astringents, exfoliants, and other words you may see
All of these ingredients can be further broken down into different categories based on their natural skin-supportive properties as well as how they enhance or support the look, feel, and smell of a product.
- Astringents support healthy oil production to keep skin looking balanced
- Exfoliants help skin appear smooth and revitalized
- Humectants draw in moisture to help keep skin hydrated
- Skin Conditioners help to nourish skin for a softer appearance
- Surfactants are used as cleansing or foaming agents
- Emollients promote the appearance of softer, smoother skin
- Emulsifiers help bring different liquids together homogeneously (such as oil and water)
- Fragrances add a distinct scent to the formulation
- pH Adjusters maintain the overall stability of the formula to ensure efficacy
- Thickeners give creams their luxurious feel and form
- Preservatives prevent microbial growth for longer shelf life
- Colors safely alter the color of a product
We’ve listed a few of our favorite ingredients below.
- Aloe vera: Aloe helps to lock in moisture so your skin stays hydrated. We use aloe vera in our Fresh Tea Face Mist and our Hydrating Face Moisturizer.
- Argan oil: Argan oil supports healthy oil production to keep looking balanced. You can find argan oil in our Hand & Body Restore Cream and our Cold Brew Beard Oil.
- Hyaluronic acid: This natural substance keeps skin looking supple and hydrated, but our bodies produce less of it as we get older. Skincare products made with hyaluronic acid, including hydrating creams and serums, help retain moisture and promote the appearance of younger-looking skin. Look for it in Hydrating Face Moisturizer and our Illuminating Universal Primer.
- Green tea: It’s not just delicious! Green tea has natural properties that support the appearance of clearer looking skin. It also helps prevent visible signs of aging. Our Fresh Tea Face Mist and Hand & Body Restore Cream both contain green tea extract.
- Niacinamide (vitamin B3): Niacinamide adds moisture and leaves skin feeling smooth and nourished. You can find it our Fresh Tea Face Mist, where it helps to brighten skin appearance.
- Peptides: Peptides are short amino acid chains that act as building blocks for important proteins. They help reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and puffiness. You can find peptides in our Eye Corrector Serum.
- Vitamin C: Its natural properties make vitamin C one of the most popular skin care ingredients. You can find it in our top-selling CC Serum and our Illuminating Universal Primer, where it helps to nourish the skin and reduce the appearance of age spots, uneven tones, and fine lines.
- Vitamin E: Vitamin E promotes healthy, younger-looking skin. You can find it in a range of our products, from our Perfect 10 Oil Cleanser and our Exfoliating Face Scrub.
The Pore Company delivers expertly crafted, clinical-grade, spa-quality products you will love and so will you beautiful skin.
Our chemists leverage cutting-edge science and the nourishing properties of nature to deliver the most potent formulations in the skincare and beauty industry. Made with premium ingredients sourced from around the world, our products are vegan, cruelty free, and never contain any parabens, sulfates, phthalates, or talc.